Agenda: Energy Storage in Canada: Accelerating the Future
Registration is available here
Tuesday, September 20, Gardiner Museum
5:30 – 8:00p.m. Opening Reception and Keynote Address
- The Honourable Glenn Thibeault, Ontario Minister of Energy
Wednesday, September 21, Bram and Bluma Appel Salon, Toronto Reference Library
8:00 – 8:45 a.m. Light Networking Breakfast and Registration
8:45 – 9:15 a.m. Opening Remarks
- Patricia Phillips, Executive Director, Energy Storage Ontario
- Matt Roberts, Executive Director, Energy Storage Association
9:15 – 10:15 a.m. Energy Storage Today: Tackling Current and Emerging Needs on the Grid
It’s a pivotal time in energy storage in Canadian markets, particularly in Ontario and Alberta, as the industry matures and policy-makers seek solutions to a range of energy and climate issues. Panelists will discuss near-term and long-term planning for energy storage, future opportunities and experiences from other leading jurisdictions.
Moderator: Jacquie DeRosa, Vice President - Emerging Technologies, Customized Energy Solutions
- Lisa DeMarco, Senior Partner, DeMarco Allan
- Jacques Duchesne, Renewables Advisor, Alberta Electricity System Operator (AESO)
- Chris Henderson, President, Lumos Energy
- Ben Grunfeld, Director, Global Energy Practice, Navigant
- Kim Warren, Vice-President, Market and System Operations and Chief Operating Officer, Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) re: Ontario market needs assessment
10:15 – 10:45 a.m. Morning Networking Break
10:45 – 11:45 a.m. Storage Breakthroughs Across the Grid: New Trends in Technology and Performance
Change and transformation of the grid are creating unique technical challenges and opportunities. Find out how energy storage can help currently address the challenges for each segment and how innovation adapts the performance characteristics of the available technologies. Panelists will look at state-of-the-art energy storage and evaluation frameworks, current trends over the course of early development and deployment, potential for energy storage technologies to meet market applications, and emerging innovation.
Moderator: Bala Venkatesh, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Academic Director, Centre for Urban Energy, Ryerson University
- Teddy Chettiar, Application Director, Power Quality Products, S&C Electric
- Maurice Dusseault, Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Waterloo, Waterloo Institute for Sustainable Energy
- Jim Green, Manager, Global Energy Storage, CSA Group
- Randell Johnson, Chief Analytics Officer, Alevo
11:45 – 12:00 a.m. Canadian Energy Storage Roadmap
Understanding the potential value of energy storage will not only help provide cost-effective solutions for secure and reliable electric grids, but also provide opportunities as an economic engine to drive the global competitiveness of Canadian energy products and home-grown expertise. This presentation formally kicks off the Canadian Energy Storage Roadmap.
- Adam Tuck, Program Leader - Energy Storage for Grid Security and Modernization at National Research Council Canada
12:00 – 1:20pm Networking Lunch
12:45 – 1:10pm Lunch Keynote
Energy Storage as a Catalyst for a Holistic Energy Transition
Dr. Michael Sterner, Professor of Energy Storage and Renewable Energy Systems, Regensburg University, Germany
1:20 – 2:05 p.m. Travelling the Energy Highway: Electrification of Transportation
Energy storage can power the electrification of transportation while providing a cleaner, more flexible and resilient electricity grid. This panel examines technologies and applications that provide grid services as well as charging EVs and fueling hydrogen fuel-cell electric vehicles.
Moderator: Bob Oliver, Principal, Tech-K.O., Inc.
- Shuvo Chowdhury, Smart Grid Project Lead, Powerstream
- Rob Harvey, Director, Energy Storage, Hydrogenics
- Matt Stevens, CEO, FleetCarma
2:05 – 2:50 p.m. Follow the Money: Energy Storage Funding and Financing
The challenges of funding and financing are critical challenges in growing energy storage technology companies, projects, components in the supply chain and export development. This panel will offer insights into funding and financing opportunities and mechanisms through new federal and provincial programs, venture capital and banks, and investment banking.
Moderator: Milosz Zemanek, Partner, Torys
- Louise Boudreau, Executive Advisor to VP –Industrial Research Assistance Program, NRC
- Ty Bowman, Vice-President, Energy Finance Group, Prudential Capital
- Nicolas Muszynski, Director, Energy Storage, RES Canada
- Yayoi Sekine, Analyst, Bloomberg New Energy Finance
2:50 – 3:10 p.m. Afternoon Networking Break
3:10 – 3:55 p.m. Passport to Global Markets: Leveraging Canadian Storage Experience into Export Opportunities
Canada needs to seize the global opportunity of widespread energy storage deployment. Canada needs to understand its competitive advantages, know when key players should focus on unique Canadian-made competencies and when international partnerships are essential to success. Panelists will discuss market and technology opportunities, industry strengths and look at success stories that serve as maps to new markets.
Moderator: Paul Murphy, Chair, Advanced Energy Centre
- Celine Bak, President, Analytica Advisors
- Raj Chintapalli, Director, Market Intelligence, Customized Energy Solutions
- Chris Evans, Senior Advisor, Clean Technologies Advisor, Export Development Canada
- Francois Vitez, VP, Business Development, Hydro and Power Delivery, SNC-Lavalin Inc.
4:00 – 4:45 p.m. The CEO Panel: Building on Vision and Success
Join four key energy storage leaders and innovators who have blazed a trail in Canada and globally for energy storage. Gain from their insights on challenges, success and leadership and learn how they are translating their achievements into building stronger platforms for the energy storage market here and abroad.
Moderator: Shawn McCarthy, Global Energy Reporter, Globe & Mail
- Martin Larocque, Co-Founder & CEO, Sigma Energy Storage
- Eric Murray, President & CEO, Temporal Power
- Annette Verschuren, Chair and CEO, NRStor
- Daryl Wilson, President &CEO, Hydrogenics
4:45 p.m. - Conference wrap-up